Davisphere is the website for Jeffrey Davis' painting portfolio, photography and links to past art columns for Beacon Media publications. Mr. Davis is a self taught artist who grew up in Golden Valley, Minnesota and has lived in Philadelphia, Chicago, New York and currently resides in Los Angeles. The artist moved to LA in 2003 to escape NY's cold winters and humid summers in exchange for the inspirational world of earthquakes, fire, mud slides and drought.
Davis' work is varied with and emphasis on both abstract and surrealistic influences. The Topography, Eclipse and Anti-Gravity Series are painted on glass with acrylics. The rapid drying nature and plasticity of acrylics permits one to cut through previous layers and create transparency or insertion of additional imagery. The randomness of working on glass and allowing the colors to intermix is especially evident in the Anti-Gravity series. The resulting images are often uncertain until revealed on the reverse side of the painting. The works involve fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and fractal geometry with guidance from the artist.
The Topography Series focuses on Climate Change and the immediate impact on Southern California's landscape. The paintings are abstractions based on U.S. Geological Service maps of the specific site topographies. Each work on glass is painted on both sides reflecting our changing seasons: Drought, Fire, Rain, Mudslide. The mirror box framing reflects the reverse side of the painting and the viewer themselves, because we are the cause of the change.
The inspiration for this series comes from driving up Pacific Coast Highway during a summer vacation and watching the wild fires approach the roadway and scorch the landscape. The dry pale ground cover and brush was quickly consumed and turned into a massive dead black debris field; nothing escaped.
The artist's current series is about dreams and what is remembered once one wakes from sleep. The paintings are surreal in nature and borrow inspiration from the bombardment of current media ideas and images along with other iconic art works coupled with the artist's random thoughts. The works layer politics, science, music, technology and the environment into a melange.
Works on canvas and other media are also available.
Time, space, physics, chemistry, mathematics, evolution, politics - the meaning of life in a nutshell. The paintings mean one thing to me and another to the viewer - it's up to them to determine their own interpretation.
BS in Economics from The University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School
MBA from The University of Chicago.
* El Segundo Museum of Art (ESMoA) - Advisory Committee
* Santa Monica Museum of Art: Board Member - 2014 - 2015
* Partnership Scholars Program Mentor: 2016 - Present
* Hawthorne Arts Complex Open Studios: 2016 - Present
* CA 101 Art Exhibition: 2017 & 2019
* Resin Gallery Hermosa Beach, CA: "Water & Wood Exhibit" - 2018
* Al Muratuschi Office Exhibit , Torrance, CA - 2018
* Universal Art Gallery, Venice, CA: Feature Window: October 2020
* Las Laguna Gallery, Laguna Beach, CA: "Purely Abstract": May 2021
* Shoebox Projects Los Angeles, CA: "That's Effin Funny": May 2021
* Shockboxx Gallery, Hermosa Beach, CA "Not! An Art Fair": June 2021
* San Diego Museum of Art: "Artist Guild Summer Exhibition": June 2021
* Manhattan Beach Art Center: Annual Exhibition - July 2021
* Schockboxx Gallery, Hermosa Beach, CA "The Really, Really Good Abstract Art Show: August 2021
Click the contact tab and call to arrange a visit.